Sunday 19 August 2012

Silver Patina Bowl

We have a two day craft fair coming up on the 8-9th of September and I have been making some plain bowls to sell there. I decided to make a few 'showier' bowls to go on our table as well, these obviously carry a higher price than most 'craft fair visitors' wish to pay but I find them a good thing to get people looking and asking questions(and then hopefully buying something from the table).
Anyway this is the first new highly textured and decorated bowl made especially for this purpose. I used a piece of four inch deep Beech that was a bit wormy, I don't mind the worm trails in things I'm going to give an aged look/patina to, I think they add to the overall aged look. The inside and the silver band are covered in a metal leaf which after the glue has dried is 'aged' with with a vigorous buffing with a cloth, making sure to rub through on the corners as this is of course where an object would wear over time with a great amount of handling. The outer is randomly textured with a burr in a Dremel tool and the crackled area is carved in with the same tool. The 'cracks' are coloured black and a base coat of a slightly purplish blue applied before the silver.

1 comment: